On 12-14 September 2018, cities, states, businesses and civil society from around the world are gathering in California for the Global Climate Action Summit. The summit has invited every mayor, governor, and local leader in the world to make a bold climate commitment to help the world reach the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement.
Rise for Climate, a distributed global mobilisation, will take place the weekend before the summit, on 8th September. This day of action in cities and neighborhoods aims to push local leaders to commit to building a fossil free world powered by 100%RE that works for all.
Rise’s key demand is a fast and fair transition to 100% renewable energy for all and an immediate end to new fossil fuel projects. Objectives are:
- Set the demands to local leaders for a faster and fairer transition from fossil fuels to a renewable, clean energy economy that protects workers, defends the most vulnerable, and gives people control over their energy system;
- Walk the path of justice for all. We will work alongside and elevate the voices of those on whom the climate crisis and impacts from the fossil fuel industry fall hardest.
- Put pressure on local leaders that are wavering to make adequate climate action commitments;
- Showcase local climate leaders – including local citizens, workers and communities – that are doing it best; and
- Share and unite each others’ efforts to show the shift away from fossil fuels to renewable energy is happening everywhere, from the bottom up.
There are over 100 registered events for the mobilization (summary here) and there’s still time to add more, in as many regions as possible.
We would like to encourage you to become part of this mobilization. Actions can be large or small, and there is plenty of material available to help you develop your ideas:
- An organising guide to help you plan a Rise event
- An action kit full of great Rise action ideas
- Global Partner Toolkit that includes instructions on how to register an action for Rise online in our event registration system (Action Network)
- A promotion page to help you spread the word about Rise
- A blog post up about Rise news – you can further share this, and you can also send your Rise story to us and we’ll include it on the blog
If it’s not possible for you to organize an action, there are still many ways to be a part of it by engaging in existing efforts and/or amplifying actions remotely. Contact Janet Kachinga for more information.