Networking is supported across all sectors to promote sharing of experiences and resources and to foster learning in order to identify effective and integrated adaptation solutions.
Welcome to the Adaptation Network
The Adaptation Network was founded in 2009 to establish a creative platform for sharing of experiences, practical approaches and frameworks relating to climate change adaptation. The Network has members from Civil Society, Government, Parastatals, Academia and Business.
The Network is hosted by the Environmental Monitoring Group, a civil society organisation based in Cape Town. The secretariat is guided by a Steering Committee which is elected annually at the annual general meetings.
Membership is open to all subscribing to the values of the network and working in the field of adaptation.
A resilient South Africa for all!
- Be an open forum for sharing resources, knowledge and ideas and promoting the integration of different kinds of knowledge
- Provide a space to grow partnerships and support one another
- Be a recognised point of contact for consultation, lobbying and advocacy
- Enable members to lobby government at all levels to improve delivery through a focus on finding common ground (and not seeking joint positions on all issues)
- Provide co-ordination to encourage alignment and connectivity
- Provide a platform for promoting collective positions
- Assist members to promote awareness through education, shared information and shared platforms
- Highlight what is already happening in terms of education and communication
- Provide a central point for sharing information
- Improve delivery by promoting better planning and evaluation
- Promote activities that build the capacity of communities to innovate and adapt
- Paint a positive picture, and communicate a message of hope to communities that we’re up for the challenge.
- Work collaboratively with government at all levels, and other partners, so as to support the formulation and implementation of adaptation policies and programs
Established in: 2009
Aims to: Provide a platform for knowledge and information sharing
Secretariat hosted by: The Environmental Monitoring Group
Steering Committee 2014/2015:
- Indigo development & change
- African Climate Development Initiative
- Environmental Science Department, Rhodes University
- Environmental Monitoring Group
- Conservation South Africa
- South African Local Government Association (Co-opted)
- Environmental Planning and Climate Protection Department,
eThekwini Municipality (Co-opted)
- Green Network (Co-opted)
- Department of Environmental Affairs (Co-opted)
Mandy Barnett will attend Steering Committee meetings as an official observer.
Associate members: 174
Formal organisational members: 19
Formal individual members: 22
Adaptation Network linking to National Processes
The Adaptation Network is linking its members to national processes in South Africa – providing feedback on national processes and informing and supporting these processes with input from its broad stakeholder base.
The Adaptation Network is represented on the following structures:
National Implementing Entity Steering Committee (NIE SC)
National technical Working Group on Monitoring & Evaluation
Dryland Fund Steering Committee
The activities of the Adaptation Network are supported
by a grant from the Government of Flanders.